Today I am sharing my absolute favourite go to comfort food! This is something that I always ask my mom to make for me when I come home, and when I went away to school was one of the first things I wanted to learn to make. I make this when I need that little piece of home, or a pick-me-up. Even my BF loves it and doesn’t leave anything behind in the pot when I’m done!
Surprisingly it is really easy to make! And when I say this I am talking about the cheese sauce, I don’t make the noodles from scratch. My mom actually taught me to make it in the microwave so it is even easier! So here it is, the amazingggggg recipe for the best mac and cheese ever.
- 2 tbsp butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup of milk
- Shredded cheese (to taste) I prefer cheddar myself …
- garlic powder
Instructions (for the microwave):
- In a bowl, melt the 2 tbsp of butter
- Once completely melted, add the 2 tbsp of flour. Put back in the microwave for ~30 seconds. Mixture should be somewhat crumbly
- Add 1 cup of milk, put back in microwave for 2-3 minutes. Check periodically, occasionally stirring until mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- Once satisfied add the shredded cheese! Add as much or as little as you like
- I like to add a pinch of salt and pepper
- Pinch of garlic powder.
- Stir often to make sure it all gets blended!
- Make pasta
- pour on pasta.
- put in oven safe dish ware
- top with breadcrumbs
- bake under the broiler to brown the top
As another option that I know some people might like, we sometimes add chicken to this as well from some extra protein! 😉